I have used them at home for years on our sun porch during cooler weather and they do a great job. They produce an even warmth and cycle on and off as needed. They have a variety of settings so you can adjust to your comfort zone. The first time that you use them or if you have not used them in a long time they produce a funny smell but I think it is just the surface dust and stuff getting hot. After that there is no odor and no sound at all. I love them. I can't imagine they would cause any problems for your storage area but maybe one of the conservators wants to respond.

Robin Campbell, Curator
NYS Bureau of Historic Sites

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kristen Bucher
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Soleus Oil Filled Radiator Heater

Dear List,
Do any of you have advice about whether or not this radiator heater is safe to use in the administrative area of the museum?  The area is approximately 30-40 feet from one art storage area.  If this heater is unsafe, is there one that is safe to use?  What would be some safety requirements to help guide us in finding one?  Any suggestions would be great.

Below of the description of the heater:

Kristen Bucher
Registrar
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens