I know this topic has been covered recently, but I am going to ask anyway….

We currently use DB/TextWorks as our data management system. The museum and archives use different databases, so we don’t mesh well together. I find textworks clunky, and it does not give good results on searches. For example, you have to know which field you are going to do a data search within. The prospect of migrating data into a new program, however, is unsettling to members of the organization, and there is resistance to the mention of change.

I know there are a lot of dedicated software programs for museums and archives. Can you help us by outlining:

1)       What software do you use and why?

2)       Why would you prefer to use a dedicated software program rather than a generic database program?

3)       What should go into the decision making process?

4)       I have heard that one software package has been recommended by CHIN in particular, which one is it? (This is important as we are a Canadian organization)

5)       What is the best process for migrating data?

6)       Are there data management policies that people may be willing to share?

Thank you for your help!

Darryl MacKenzie, BSc(CD), MA

Museum Director/ ODHS Administrator

Oliver and District Heritage Society