Our museum has a very unique partnership as we are owned and operated by
the school district. We provide free programs and tours to all schools
and educators. We also provide free transportation through our bus fund.
All our programs, tours and transportation costs are subsidized through
grants and donations. Last year we served 7,176 through our regularly
scheduled tours. We had 8,260 people in attendance at our School and
Educator Programs. In total the education department had 21, 177 people
in attendance at our programs and tours during the year.

Not big numbers compared to many large city museums. However, almost all
of those people didn't pay a dime. Plus we do not charge admission.
Point being, that for a small city we are able to serve a great portion
entirely free and very successfully through grants and donations.

We create a plethora of educator guides and traveling trunks with pre
and post lesson plan. I have to say they are hardly used. We
traditionally have created educator guides for exhibitions but the lack
of use caused us to stop producing them. The most popular educator guide
and trunk is our African Americans in Art and History which gets a long
list of reservations for the month of February. We could have gotten
away with one or two on American Art and History and Skipped the other
ones we have. They are nice to have for the occasional teacher who asks
for them but honestly the only people who use the educator guides
regularly are our docents.

The bus fund is a life savor for the schools. With transportation going
to sports and music groups first, all other subjects are often left to
fend for themselves. Attendance drastically increased when we provided
free transportation. You have never seen a group of teachers light up as
they do when we tell them we have free transportation. All the other
institutions in town have followed our lead after seeing the
response,... even the ones that charge for their programming.

Hope this helps.

Nicola Warren Sarn

School and Educator Services Coordinator

Columbus Museum
1251 Wynnton Road
Columbus, Georgia 31906
Phone: 706.748.2562, ext. 653