From: Museum discussion list on behalf of Heather McClenahan
Sent: Thu 08/11/2007 17:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Murky waters

Listers,
    We are looking for some advice and help for what we hope is not a
unique situation. We are a small historical society that is under
contract with the county government to run a museum and archives (the
contract covers less than 1/3 of the society's operating budget). The
collection belongs to us but is housed in county-owned buildings.
Because of space and environmental issues, there is some discussion
about building a new archival facility. Some on our board and in the
community are questioning whether the county should be building a new
facility for what is essentially a private organization. Others argue
the county has a responsibility to support the culture and history of
the community.
    Has anyone else been through anything like this before? Your
advice, thoughts, and comments are appreciated, on or off list.
   As a bit of background, our collection and archives contain a great
deal of town-related matter like civic club records, county planning
documents, and school planning reports. The county does not have a
facility for archiving its own records, and there is some discussion
about making the new facility for both county records and historical
archives.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
Heather McClenahan, museum assistant/web master
Los Alamos Historical Society
http://www.losalamoshistory.org
PO Box 43
1921 Juniper St.
Los Alamos, NM 875444
505-662-6272 (office)
505-470-2912 (cell)

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the
views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it
from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in
any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: