I would like to hear from other small museums about paying a fee to BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc) for playing a CD as background to an exhibit. I bring CDs in from home, some played as background "mood" for a period room, others in my office to keep me company. BMI claims that because the public has access to both the exhibits and my office, I have to pay them $350 each year to play my CDs. Well, close the door and I'll tell you what I think of that.  But in order to get the name of our obscure, remote, rural museum, they must have photocopied the pages of museum directories everywhere, so someone has probably dealt with this issue?

Micki Ryan, Director
Orcas Island Historical Museum
POB 134, Eastsound WA 98245