Hi Micki,

Besides BMI...I know someone else mentioned ASCAP, and there's also SESAC
-are the major music recording licensing, performance rights organizations.
Also, it's important to know that even Indie record labels can have a licensing
agreement with one of these. You can find the licensing co. name right on your
 CD and cover.

I must mention that a non-profit organization should not have to pay fees!
I'm not 100% certain of this and things can change of course. It's been  over a
decade ago now, but I had the opportunity to meet and talk to.. and I  asked
the then-President of BMI, Bobby Weinstein (who was also inducted  into the
Songwriter's Hall of Fame this year) about this. I would ask the  BMI field
agent to send you their written policy regarding non-profits.

I really think the BMI rep is bullying you to pay these  fees and recommend
that you send BMI proof of your non-profit status. In retail  stores, bars,
restaurants and other money-making establishments..the music is  used for profit
making purposes.

If a museum gift shop is selling musical recordings other than  what's being
played in the galleries...as a recording artist and/or  songwriter, I'd have a
problem with that.

Another thing you could do is contact the recording artist and/or  songwriter
and ask permission (if even as a courtesy) to play the music. Most  would
probably not have issue with this because they want their music to be  heard, and
perhaps would feel that people may be encouraged to purchase their  music (if
even you don't sell it there).

Pam

In a message dated 11/8/2007 9:45:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,