Ax touch mark ID

Hello,

I am emailing for help in identifying a touch mark on an ax that was purportedly found in the vicinity of Pickawillany in western Ohio. It is a typical trade/belt ax common to the era with a tear drop eye, straight front edge, expanding bit and slightly curved back edge. Pickawillany was an English trading post / Miami Indian town that was active between 1748 and 1752 when it was destroyed by the French. The man who is trying to present the piece to museum seems to think the mark was that of Thomas Burney, the blacksmith that hid out during the attack and made it back east. It is composed of an upper case “L” and a lower case “r” with a couple of stars inset and perhaps some leaves above the “r” all in a deeply set tapered rectangular cartouche applied on the side of the blade just below the haft.  I can email a sketch of the touch mark to anyone who is interested.

It looks nothing like anything I have ever seen that was attributed to Thos. Burney. I am hoping someone could shed some light on it or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Linda

Linda Pansing
Assistant Curator of Archaeology
Collections, Historic Preservation & Statewide Outreach
The Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
(614) 298-2061
www.ohiohistory.org/archaeology

Find out about new archaeology happenings on the Ohio Historical Society's Archaeology Blog at http://ohio-archaeology.blogspot.com

JP Morgan Chase presents Once Upon A Dime: The World of Money, organized by The Newark Museum, on exhibit at the Ohio Historical Center Museum in Columbus from September 1, 2007 through April 1, 2008. Discover the fascinating story of money from the barter system to digital dollars through a series of family friendly hands-on activities. Visit www.ohiohistory.org/dime for details.

 Are you a member? Membership is more valuable than ever, with four featured exhibits scheduled during the next 12 months! Learn more today at www.ohiohistory.org/about/mem.html.

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Connect with the past. Create a better future.