Cathy,

If you look at the intro to Chenhall's you will see that it tells you
that even if and item is only part of a whole it should be classified
under the whole name.  That would be true with a uniform whether it's a
single piece or the complete uniform.  If you look in Chapter II Using
Nomenclature under Parts, accessories, and fragments you will find a
full explanation.

As for the numbering, letters typically represent parts of objects that
cannot be used outside of the whole (i.e. lid of a teapot, broken part)
but for items that have multiply parts that could be used separately you
should be using 1,2,3's.  Your numbers should look like 2007.27.1.1,
2007.27.1.2, 2007.27.1.3 rather than 2007.27.1a, 2007.27.1b, 2007.1c.
What often causes confusion is that references often talk about a "part
of a whole" (a,b,c's) vs. a "set." (1,2,3s).  Also remember that a set
may have parts.

I hope that isn't too confusing, but let me know if I was not clear

Tracie Evans

Collections Manager

Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

PO Box 2570, Waco, TX 76706