At Old Fort Niagara, we offer a number of Educational Programs. However, as of late, we have seen a dramatic drop in those taking advantage of them. A major problem has been groups booking programs, not sending in a deposit,?and then canceling at the last minute, not allowing for time to book another group. This is especially frustrating as we fill our calender quickly every time? we open reservations, and turn away groups on a regular basis.

With this decline, we are taking a look at the programs themselves, specificly our overnight programs, and questioning whether or not to continue some of the programs, or raising the prices to increase the income we do receive from our more popular programs. My questions to the list are:

What programs does your institution offer in the line of overnight stays? What is involved with them? With our programs, every minute you are here and awake, a staff member is doing something with the group; teaching the group an 18th century?game, helping them prepare their 18th century dinner, telling ghost stories, touring the site, etc. Does your program offer this much interaction?

How much do you charge? Is there a per person fee, or do you charge a base rate no matter how many persons are in a group? Our evening program is $20 per person, while our full day and night program is $35 per person. We maintain a minimum of 12 persons and thanks to the building we use, the maximum group size is 30, so we are limited. We require a deposit at least a month in advance, but my feeling is that if we required a deposit over the phone when making the reservation, we would not have the large number of cancelations, or we would at least garner some income in exchange for wasted time and supplies (Most groups send in the deposit just at the deadline, though I often have to make phone calls to remind group leaders of due dates). Do you require a deposit for your program, and if so, when is it required?

I look forward to answers to these questions, and I'm sure, some lively discussion of these topics.

Rory Bialecki
Interpretive Programming Assistant
Old Fort Niagara?