From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Lisa Renken
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Self Assessment Tool for small museums

Hello All,

Does anyone know of what is referred to in the nonprofit literature as a “Self-Assessment Tool” specifically geared towards small museums? In between our regular full-blown financial audit that is conducted every x years by a CPA, we would like to do a less formal annual “self assessment” that involves outside persons, though not CPAs. So far, I have only found “full blown audits” involving CPAs on the AAM website. I have not found anything on the AASLH website or that of my regional association. There are “self assessment tools” for non-profits out there, just not specifically tailored for Museums. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Renken, Ph.D

Director

Lompoc Museum