Dear Jarod,
From my experience, the medals would be numbered seperately, using a separate number from the uniform.
The reason being, that one could display the medals without the uniform - say, if you wanted to do an exhibit
on WWII medals only.
If a medal has a pin backing, then the medal would be assigned "a", and the backing would be assigned "b."
If you are storing the uniform, then take the medals off and store them separately, but reference which uniform
they belong with. Do not store textiles and metal objects together.

I hope this helps,

Melisa Durkee
Project Manager
Museum & Collector Resource

www.musres.com

----- Original Message ----
From: Jarod Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:04:10 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Medals

Hello Museum World,

I am in the process of accessioning some World War II uniforms.  I wondered what would be the proper way to deal with the medals pinned to the uniforms. Leave them as is. Accessioning them separately.  Or accessioning them separately but leave them on the uniform and should I use A, B, etc. or next sequential number? Thank you for your responses.

Jarod Atkins, Curator of Collections
Edmond Historical Society
431 S. Boulevard, Edmond , OK 73034
Office:  (405)340-0078