If you don't have any paperwork, then you need to have some way of
designating the objects so that you can show they were present when you
did inventory in 1995 and 2000 and 2005, or whenever. Photographs, even
of orphaned and mystery objects, are very important. Dated. We use the
old FIC/FIA designation, and we have the items in our database. Every
once in a while, based on some detective work and the descriptions on
catalogue cards and in the database, we are able to reunite an object
with its paperwork. Loud Huzzahs! all around the room. But we feel your
pain. One of these days, we're going to have to resort to abandoned
property laws to deaccession (or accession) some of those orphans.

Anne T. Lane

Anne T. Lane

Collections Manager

704.568.1774 x110 phone

704.566.1817 fax

The Charlotte Museum of History and Hezekiah Alexander Homesite

Where  History Has a Home

3500 Shamrock Drive

Charlotte, NC  28215-3214

www.charlottemuseum.org

Featured Exhibits:

ToyTime: Larger-than-Life Folk Toys, September 8 to December 30, 2007

Flags Across The Nation: Quilts of Patriotism, September 11 to November
11, 2007

Charlotte Neighborhoods: Brooklyn to Biddleville, Now through January
25, 2008