Hello All,

My museum is tackling the Collections MAP self survey at the moment. One of the team questions in the mission and planning section is regarding how the Board of Directors (or governing authority) measures whether the collections staff is meeting the goals or objectives set forth in the museum's strategic plan or long range plan. My MAP team drew a blank on this question. We're curious how other museums measure the effectiveness of their collections goals. Is it in the percentage of objects accepted or declined, percentage of accessions processed during the year, percentage of items in backlog, the number of volunteer hours spent in collections, etc.? Is anyone willing to share with me how they do it? Thanks!

Cathy Osterman
Curator of Collections
CFD Old West Museum
Cheyenne, WY