Hello!

I have just come across two rubber turnout coats that have become very stiff and brittle, as rubber does with age.  Does anyone know if there is a way to "un-stiffen" these?  Or better yet, what precautions should I be taking now for the other rubber items in our collection that have not yet become brittle?  We have not only jackets, but boots and hoses as well.

Thanks!

Megan Oleksa
Collections Manager
The FASNY Museum of Firefighting