I would strongly suggest contacting the National Trust.

Best of luck!

Catherine Dean
Curator of Collections
APVA Preservation Virginia

  Hello all,

  The Bay County Historical Museum in central Michigan owns a historic home that is to eventually house museum exhibits.  The area's first frame home,  constructed in 1836,  is at the point where extensive wood repair to external trim and windows needs to be performed before the home is painted.  It is on both the National and State Historic Register.

  I am hoping to make some contacts with other historic societies that have gone through the same process of having proper renovation/restoration work done.  I really don't even know where to start with contacting contractors - the local "experts" are quick to give a low quote to get the work, but the last painting the home rec'd immediately flaked off.

  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I see so much useful information pass through this list, I figured I might as well try to not re-invent the wheel.

  Thanks!

  Peter Howey, Director

  Bay County Historical Museum

  (989) 893-5733