I have come a little late to this thread, so excuse me if these points have been made before.

But I think both Amy and Wesley's advice CAN be correct as far as they go, but could be deadly if followed too rigidly. I've hired literally hundreds of museum staff, most part time docents but many managers and full time educators as well not to mention lord knows how many interns, I have been on the market three times in my 20 year career always successfully, and have consulted professional Museum HR people on more than one occasion. I don't claim to be an expert or have the answers. But here are some points to ponder that you can take or leave:

1. No one way will work either in terms of page length, organization, or in any other way. I have seen colleagues throw out resumes because the applicant used "pompous stationary."  (It was for a design position, so maybe it was an appropriate call, I don't know) What might be a solid gold cover letter and resume for a three staff member historical society in New England could quickly find the bottom of the trash bin at a larger institution in California with a professional HR department. Find out as much as you can about the institution before deciding anything about your application materials. With all of the resources the internet brings to our desktops, there is no excuse for not tailoring all of your materials to the institution and people receiving your resume.

2. While I am a fan of the shorter resume, the one page rule has been dead for a long time. A more important guide is appropriate length. If you don't have enough material for two pages, don't stretch it with clubs you were president of in College or your hobbies. But if you have a full background that can fill two even three pages addressing the specifics of the ad and position. Go for it. Whether you do a CV or the shorter resume is a tougher call. Unless it is an academic position, a CV is rarely called for. However, if the ad says things like "intellectual leader in the field," "history of scholarship," or if the job has any academic responsibilities, a CV might be appropriate. Or if you know the people or person you are sending your resume to has a bent for CV's you may want to tailor your application materials to suit. For example a university affiliated museum that uses a central HR department might be more comfortable with a CV than a shorter resume. (see points 3 and 4)

3.  Never assume a museum professional will be the first one to read, rank, and weed out your resume. It may be an HR person who knows museums generally, but not the specialty being hired and not the subtleties of the profession. It may be someone who knows nothing about museums, especially if the position is with an institution which does more things than museums like governments with civil service laws, universities, scientific organizations, etc. In these cases,  I would argue that you do indeed need to address the job functions point-by-point USING EXACTLY THE VOCABULARY FOUND IN THE AD OR ANNOUNCEMENT  somewhere in your application. Cover letter or resume makes no difference, but sooner rather than later. If the ad calls for 5 years experience brushing hair, don't say you have five years experiencing styling hair and assume the first person to read your packet will know that brushing is contained in he concept of "styling.". The person reading your resume may not know the subtleties  of styling and brushing and move on to the next resume assuming you don't meet the qualifications when in fact you exceed them.

3a. Heck never assume the person reading your resume is actually reading it. I don't know what the latest stats are, but for some positions there may be a 100 applicants. The person opening your letter and reading may have to cull 20 - 50 or more in a week or less in addition to all their other duties. They may only have time to scan, check off qualifications needed, and rank in minutes. Don't make it hard for them. Don't make them interpret your words. Short is a virtue but not at the expense of clarity.

4. Never assume that your resume will initially even be read and ranked by a human being. In our increasingly computerized world many applications are done online or resumes and cover letters are scanned into the computer and key words searched for. What are those key words? They can be found in the job ad or announcements. If they want educational leadership, you say "I show evidence of educational leadership beause...." so that when they plug "educational leadership" into their search engines and scan 100 resumes in 2 minutes, yours makes the first cut. And when it comes to page count bear in mind a couple of things. If you submit your application electronically  page count is irrelevant.  If your application will be scanned and searched, page count is nearly irrelevant.

In addition to the issues above, the electronic age also suggests the following pieces of advice to make scanning more efficient and accurate:

1. Send your application in a flat envelope, do not fold.
2. Use plain white paper with no fancy graphics or watermarks.
3. Eschew fancy typographical flourishes. Use at least a 12 point san serif font with plenty of line spacing and ample margins. (Thinking of your application as an ADA compliant museum label would be a good rule of thumb.)

Again, my last few points may not hold for a packet going to a smaller museum and it will be read and judged by museum professionals who can spend quality time with it and appreciate stylistic embellishments. You must learn as much as you can about the institution to which you are applying so that you can customize your packet.

And lastly, please think twice about a "Goal Statement" at the top of your resume. Those went out with attaching a photograph. Most will go unread. Even if read, savvy reviewers assume you are making something up to endear yourself to them, and nothing will get your resume passed around for laughs faster than a pretentious goal statement. Trust me on that. Do yourself a favor. Anything you want to convey in a goal statement would be better in a cover letter as part of a more complete thought.

Have a nice day,

Matt White