Good Afternoon Amy,

My first response is to give the search committee whatever the search committee wants.  This direction should be given to you in the official vacancy announcement.  If no specific direction is given – I recommend the following:

1.)     A cover letter.  The cover letter should respond “point-by-point” to the essential job functions listed in the official vacancy announcement (OVA).  For example, if the OVA lists that cataloging “widgets” is an essential job function – then your cover letter could say – for example – that  you have (how many) years of experience cataloging widgets and you wrote the manual for your museum on cataloging widgets.  Your cover letter should (if possible) respond to each and every essential job function listed in the OVA.  The cover letter should tell the search committee that your knowledge, skills, abilities AND experience “matches” point-by-point the essential job functions listed in the OVA……and the cover letter should close with……that you are familiar with the institution you are applying to and want to further your career there…and it meshes with your career goals…etc….etc….and any other information that you think might serve to influence the search committee.

2.)     A one or two page resume.  The resume should list the positions you have held and the key roles and responsibilities of those positions, and your major accomplishments described by quantitative measures of success, while in those positions. At the end of the resume, I would mention that a CV is available on request.  CVs can be long and tedious for some search committee members to read.  My resume is one page long and it covers my 35 year career in an “quick and easy” one minute read.  My CV is 14 pages long….and even puts me to sleep!

3.)     Remember, nobody gets a job solely based on the cover letter and resume (and/or cv)….however, a non-persuasive cover letter and a resume that does not “relate” to the position that you are applying for – will deny you an interview.  The purpose of a cover letter and a resume is to get you the interview.  The interview, your references….and other observations (sometimes a search committee member will visit your institution as a “secret visitor – it happened to me…twice!) will be the determining factors in deciding who gets the job.

I hope this helps…..and,

Best Wishes for Success,

Wesley

Wesley S. Creel