1.  I wouldn't waste time on on trying anything less than $100.  Even though you said that these aren't for reproduction I think the sound is terrible for even playback listening.

2. The website transom.org has some great reviews, including sound clips of several digital recorders.

3.  For my personal use of interviews for my own podcast and recording lectures, etc that I want to review later, I use an Olympus DS-2 that I got at Best Buy for around $150.00.  It seems to be the model that is most popular with students for lectures and grassroots podcasters on fixed budgets.

4.  If you have the money, and you think that there might be the slightest possiblity that you will ever want to use these in exhibits or for podcasts or things of that nature, I would suggest the Marantz PMD 660 (around $499.).

When deciding what recorder to buy you want to consider battery life, physical size, external/internal mics and inputs, audio quality, memory type, recording file type, and accessories.

Most digital recorders will record in one of four formats.  When it comes to recording formats wav and mp3 are great because they will play in almost anything.   Wavs are very high quality but they are also very large.  Mp3s are smaller but lower quality.  WMA is a windows specific format if you need to convert it there are free converters available for download on the internet.  Some recorders may record in a format that is specific from their company and can only be played or edited using their tools.  You'll probably want to avoid these formats.

When you are working on your budget also remember there are recorder accessories you should factor in such as memory cards, card readers, batteries, and perhaps a carrying case. But more importantly you might also want to think about getting an external microphone.

HM Wells

Shiloh Museum of Ozark History

Springdale, Arkansas