Hi Erin (again),

I completely agree with David and Ware. I glossed over the fact that
prior to any renovation work being done at any of our sites, collections
and conservation issues are discussed months in advance (including
on-site visits) with the curator in charge of the project, facilities
staff (architect in charge of the renovation work), and the site
manager.  On the scheduled day of the removal of objects (weather
permitting), I typically show up at the site with our Registrar, two
asst. registrars, two asst. curators, and several volunteers, and a
number of vehicles, e.g. our collections van, our 16' box van with a
power-lift tailgate, a full compliment of moving blankets, straps,
boxes, bubble-wrap, micro-foam, stretch-wrap (very useful), flashlights,
and the proper tools to disassemble objects if necessary (beds,
tall-case clocks, bookcases, etc).

Photos (digital reference images) are taken of the room settings with
every object in-place (very useful if you are reinstalling the rooms
exactly as they were) to visually confirm the existence of every object.
The Registrar has a complete object inventory of the site, sorted by
room, no object is removed from the room until it is cross-checked with
the inventory, the catalog number and object description are recorded on
our transfer sheet, and a digital image is taken of the object with the
catalog number written on an erasable marker board in the foreground of
the image, accompanied by a ruled (in centimeters) gray scale and color
bar for reference. Any obvious damage or condition concerns are brought
to my attention at this time and if necessary, the object is flagged for
delivery to the Objects Conservation Lab (where I can perform the
necessary treatment) instead of being delivered to our Collections
Storage Facility. The object is then packed and loaded on the truck.
Finally, within 24 hours after the move, all of the object's location
changes are updated by the Registrar in our collections database.

Prior to returning the objects to the site, I examine every object; it
is cleaned and/or treated if necessary, and repacked for return trip.
And last, but not least, I perform an environmental survey of the site
(temperature, %RH, visible light, and UV light) and any concerns are
addressed before the objects are returned.

While I have made these types of moves many times and they have become
rather routine, the one bit of advice I can give based on many years of
experience is: move all of your collections objects off-site while the
renovation work is being done as you will not be able to adequately
protect them regardless of how well they are packed or stored on-site.

Good Luck!

Russ

Russell P. Arledge

Collections Facility Manager

Collections, Historic Preservation & Statewide Outreach

The Ohio Historical Society

1982 Velma Avenue

Columbus, Ohio 43211-2497, USA

614.298.2051 // Fax: 614.298.2096