Are you considering creating a single web site with a *few* words about your common goals, as well as links to your individual web sites? It would be one way to ensure that navigators finding one museum in the circuit are able to know of the network and about all of the museums in it.

A similar page exists for the civic museums of Milan, Italy, where I live, and I'm sure many others could share like experiences.

In case you haven't gone so far as to register a web site name, yet, I heartily recommend that the enormous potential of the relatively new ".museum" web name is investigated, see the http://about.museum web site.

Click on "Find Museums" at the top of the page, then on "second-level names" (aka categories). You'll find a long page with lots of categories of museums. All museums world-wide belonging to the same category are on a single web page, so that fans from all over the world of a particular kind of museum can find yours easily.

Don't be fooled by the superficial resemblance of ".museum" to search engines, whose results are overloaded with references to similarly phrased, but completely extraneous, pages that must be sifted through tiresomely.

This relatively recent "third level domain" (i.e., the "name" after the dot) dedicated only to legitimate museums is an excellent way for museums to become known, and for the public--including us--to find them.

I enthusiastically encourage all museums to acquire a ".museum" web site name, which may be used as the principal one, or may be a secondary one from which all navigators are automatically shunted to a pre-existing address (your techies will set up a "redirect" feature, the redirect happens automatically in such an infinitely small fraction of a second that the navigator is not even aware of it). One important note: I am not related to ".museum" in any way, and receive no kind of benefit in any form for spreading the good word!

Hope this has been of interest, best regards,

Star Meyer, Ph.D.
home: [log in to unmask]
work: [log in to unmask]
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org  --  http://www.bagattivalsecchi.house.museum