Are you or your colleagues involved in collecting, preserving, and/or providing access to audio and or video material in cultural institutions, libraries or archives? The Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts, with PALINET, is pleased to present A Race Against Time:  Preserving Our Audiovisual Media, to be held at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH on October 24 & 25, 2007.  This program is intended for curators, librarians, archivists, collection managers, and other staff who are involved in managing machine-based media collections in cultural institutions.

For a program brochure and registration form, please visit our website at http://www.ccaha.org/workshop_cal.php. For questions about the program, call CCAHA’s Preservation Services office at 215.545.0613.

We would appreciate your sharing this information with your colleagues and membership, and apologize for cross-postings. Thanks!

A Race Against Time:  Preserving Our Audiovisual Media

Presented by:

The Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts (CCAHA)

Cosponsored by PALINET

Cleveland, OH

October 24 & 25, 2007

About the program

Many of the machine-readable audiovisual collections held by our cultural institutions are in peril.  Therefore, it is crucial to have knowledge about the life expectancy and unique needs of our legacy media in order to make good preservation decisions. From videotapes and audiotapes to motion picture film, film strips, LPs, 78s, magnetic tape, wax cylinders, and audiocassettes, each of these formats has a critical point at which information will begin to be lost.

The challenge of long-term preservation for these formats is that they often require intervention, including cleaning and reformatting. To maximize the life of these materials, one must understand the nature of the media, causes of deterioration, storage and handling practices, and the various types of playback equipment.  Through lectures, discussion, and hands-on experiences, participants in this two-day program will learn the basic principles for managing audiovisual collections that contain historic formats.  Contracting with vendors and funding strategies will also be discussed.

This program is intended for curators, librarians, archivists, collection managers, and other staff who are involved in managing machine-based media collections in cultural institutions.

LOCATION & DATE

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

One Key Plaza
Cleveland, OH  44114

October 24 & 25, 2007

Speakers

Lead Speaker

Alan Lewis, Audiovisual Archives Consultant, Washington, DC

An audiovisual preservation expert, Alan has worked in the special Motion Picture, Sound and Video branch of the National Archives and Records Administration and has administered AV archival programs at PBS and CBS News. He now provides consulting and training in audio/video preservation and preservation management.

With:

George Blood, President, Safe Sound Archive, Philadelphia, PA

Lisa Carter, Head, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries

Thomas F.R. Clareson, Program Director, New Initiatives, PALINET

Susan L. Malbin, Senior Program Officer, Institute of Museum and Library Services

John Walko, Media Archive Manager, Scene Savers, Cincinnati, OH

Local Cosponsors

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland, OH

Intermuseum Conservation Association (ICA), Cleveland, OH

FUNDERS

Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation

Laura Hortz Stanton

Director of Preservation Services

Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts

264 S. 23rd St.

Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: 215-545-0613

Fax:   215-735-9313