Dan,

This is certainly not my area expertise, but I would suggest you post
your question on the museum-l listserv.

This is certainly not my area of expertise, but I thought someone out
there on the listserv might have a suggestion for Daniel Burns and his
chalkboard signature of George Bush.  Please see the message below:

Thanks,

Justin Gunther

Curator

Fallingwater

I am wondering if you can offer some advice to me.  In the late 80s or
early 90s, President Bush (the first one) visited our school district.
He signed his name on a black chalk board with white chalk.  At that
time, a large piece of plexiglass was cut to fit over the chalk board to
protect it.  Now, the district is looking for the best way to preserve
this.  Our superintendent has asked for my assistance, to see if I could
spray the signature with fixative and/or otherwise have the chalkboard
framed and the signature preserved.  I definitely do not want to spray
it.  I have no background in preservation, and am wondering if you could
make some suggestions, or would know anyone you could direct me to for
assistance. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you could
offer.

Dan

Daniel Burns

Subject Area Supervisor

Art Department

Conestoga Valley School District

2110 Horseshoe Road, Lancaster, PA  17601

717-397-5231 x2250