I think part of the answer depends on how much your community as a whole values your public programs.

If your public programs are popular and well-attended, then free or reduced admission to the programs will be seen as a valuable member benefit. In this situation you may have people who join and stay members to get access to the popular public programs.

The question that is at the heart of your inquiry is - why are our members joining and renewing?

My institution is a bit different - we have a significant portion of  membership who join to support our historic preservation advocacy efforts, and never attend our public programs - yet they consistently renew.

We keep free or reduced participation as a benefit, there are plenty of members who do use it, especially for our sell-out events (annual house tour for example.) I don't think we'd ever remove that benefit. We plan our budgets assuming income from the member rate of admission.

Are you considering adding this benefit or removing it?

Cindy Boyer

Director of Museums and Education

The Landmark Society of Western New York

Rochester, NY

(585) 546-7029 x12

www.landmarksociety.org

The Landmark Society of Western New York

1937-2007  - Serving for 70 years!

Our mission is to discover, protect, and revitalize

the architectural and related cultural heritage

of the Rochester region, and to educate and

inform our community about that heritage.