The College Art Association has guidelines for guest curators, exhibitors/artists, and catalogue essayists. Just go to their website at www.collegeart.org and click on the "guidelines" link. I skimmed them briefly and didn't see anything about paying a curator more per venue, but the guidelines did suggest that independent curators be reimbursed for any expense they incur due to a traveling exhibition (such as having to travel with the show). There's also info on intellectual property rights that might assist your colleague.

N. Elizabeth Schlatter
Deputy Director and Curator of Exhibitions
University of Richmond Museums
Richmond, VA 23173
t. (804) 287-6423
f. (804) 287-1894