I should note here that there are two types of chalkware – the 19th century variety that is considered folk art, and the 20th century carnival giveaways.  Quite different!

Candace Perry

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pamela Silvestri
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Carnival "chalk"

Sounds like an interesting collection, so I thought I'd do a quick online search:

If you want to check with the carnies (many of whom have donated collections to museums) http://showpeople.typepad.com/carnivals/

There are chalkware collections at: http://www.folkartmuseum.org

Another museum with a carnival chalkware collection: http://www.marindirect.com/sd/index.htm

I did a search for 'Carnival Chalkware Museum'...saw some references, but no direct link to any such named museum and really, no other solid info using these search words in just the couple pages I looked at.

Pam