Also, I believe that the people who made coffins also made trunks and sometimes cradles.  (At HCH we have a 1749 leather covered cradle with extensive brass tack decoration and handles)  I am not an expert on mourning/death/burial subjects, but somewhere that is ringing a bell.  Another option might be to look into some of those types of objects in your region.   There is also a museum of funeral customs in Illinois which you might contact for more information.

--
Erin Elizabeth Crissman
Curator