For those of you who have been discussing File Maker this week, I have
another question. We are currently using File Maker Pro 5.0 to manage our
collection. We have about 44,000 of our 80,000 artifacts in the database. As
time has passed I have become adept at manipulating layout and fields, so
from that standpoint File Maker has been a satisfactory program to be using.
However, as we are several versions behind we need to be thinking about an
upgrade as budget allows.

Lately File Maker 5 has been crashing with more regularity. I am interested
in knowing whether others have had difficulty with File Maker with large
capacity files (ours is currently 255 MB and surely will triple). We have
only begun to add photos of objects and intend to add as many as we can over
the next few years. Several of the crashes have happened as I was adding
photos. Unfortunately, 5.0 is no longer supported by File Maker.

Is anyone using a more recent version of File Maker to manage a collection
of comparable size (or larger)? Are there glitches you have become aware of?
I'm not sure how much of my problem is antiquated software and how much may
be the ever-growing amount of data.

Thanks,

Laura M. Bachelder, Curator of Collections

Midway Village & Museum Center

815-397-9112 ext 108

815-397-9156 fax