We recently took 5 dress uniforms from the five branches of the military off display, and are going to store them in the permanent collection. They have been on display on mannequins for at least 5 years, and are very dusty and dirty. They've been touched and handled quite a bit by visitors. They are all modern--acquired from military suppliers or veterans in the last 10 years.

My question is this: how should I clean them before storing them? Someone suggested getting them drycleaned and starched(which is how they would be cleaned if they were in regular use by an officer) but aren't the solvents very damaging? Should I just launder them myself with orvus? Any other options?

Please advise.

Thank you,
Christy Jones
Archivist