In a message dated 8/10/07 8:06:32 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
<<    he also took me aside before he left and told me, "this doesn't smell
like a museum,
<<     museums aren't supposed to smell musty". ugh >>

----------------------
Ah, yea, -- and museum's aren't supposed to be fun either -- right?    --
WRONG!?

Fear not Pam!   I would have just told him your musuem's odor was a
"FEATURE!".....     *wink*     We pulled some of our trucks out of the fire museum last
weekend and as a result we stinked up the place with exhaust fumes and
gasoline smell during which time a retired firefighter/board member commented, "Ah,
this is what a firehouse is SUPPOSED to smell like!!"   (although I will
admit, I promptly reminded him we weren't a firehouse anymore -- we were a
MUSEUM!!)   *smile*

Seriously, I would have asked your CCC Camp retiree what he remembers the
camps smelling like back in 1937 -- didn't they smell "musty" back then?)     I
remember reading some study that said SMELL was the most memory-evolking of our
five senses which means some museums are paying big-bucks to create/recreate
visitor experiences (including smells) that touch multiple senses!

I remember several occasions when we discussed the merits of various
smell-producing machines on this list.    Heck I've even toyed with the idea of
installing an odor machine in the old firehouse, though I could never decide if we
should to use the smell called "barnyard" (for the horses) -- "Mechanic's Shop"
(gas, and oil) -- or "campfire" (smoke).    You should have told your visitor
that the musty odor he was smelling was a man-made, "archivaly-safe", smell
piped though your HVAC system, (yes I know you don't have one!), that was
custom blended just for your institution based on years of scientific research of
mold and dust spores of the 1930s....     *wink*

- David -
David Lewis, curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org