Cass,

I agree with the other posters on this issue.  If the object was given to your institution free and clear of any restrictions, then you do not have an obligation to let the donor know about the disposition of their gift.

However, if there is some question as to the original conditions of the gift, then notifying the donor would probably be a good idea. For example, we have a few objects that were "added to the collection" during the early years of the museum and no gift forms were ever completed. The only reason we knew of these circumstances was from some cryptic notations by early staff. In this case, we contacted the "heirs and assigns" of the "donor" to let them know of the circumstances letting them know what happened and offering them an opportunity to claim the item.

Hope this is helpful.
Erin.
--
Erin Elizabeth Crissman