Hi there
From an antipodean perspective (which may have some similarities with the US context), I firmly believe that 'small museums in the middle of nowhere' (to paraphrase Debra Loguda-Summers) are often the very best places to start your museum career. You are exposed to a broad range of types of work, and can pick up skills that a more focused role in a larger institution might not offer. Furthermore, you might discover that you have skills in an area of museum work that you hadn't previously considered.
Best of luck,

Tracy Puklowski
General Manager
National Services Te Paerangi
Te Papa Tongarewa Museum of New Zealand

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debra Loguda-Summers
Sent: Thursday, 2 August 2007 3:20 a.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Advice for Entry Level Applicants?

Hi,
I think we have all been in that boat sometime also, I know as a very small museum we have a hard time finding good help due to the fact we are in the "middle of no where" and we can't pay much.

Matter of fact is we are looking for Research Assistant but again "middle of no where" and low pay doesn't help us.

Debra Loguda-Summers, Curator
Still National Osteopathic Museum and National Center for Osteopathic History
800 West Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660 626 2359
Fax: 660 626 2984
Toll Free: 1 866 626 ATSU Ext. 2359
www.atsu.edu/museum

The Mission of the Still National Osteopathic Museum is to collect, preserve, and make available artifacts and related materials to communicate the history and philosophy about the osteopathic principles of mind, body and spirit to a global audience.

>>> "Frank Kordalski, Jr." <[log in to unmask]> 8/1/2007 9:32 AM >>>
Welcome to the club!