Hi Jennifer,

Keep you chin up, I graduated with a MS in Museum and Field Studies from University of Colorado in 2003 with a broad array of internships, volunteer work and work experience but had a hell of a time landing my first job. I just kept sending resumes out to anything that looked interesting and a few that looked awful as well. Persistence paid off after about 18 months and I love where I work now, it is the best possible fit and would have been my first choice anyway! This is an interesting time for new museum professionals, it seems that after 9/11 museums cut staff positions considerably in response to sharply declining fundraising numbers. This meant that when museums started hiring again there was a pool of experienced professionals for us unexperienced new graduates to compete with, and it seems that this trend is continuing still. My suggestion is to keep sending that resume out to anyone with a mailbox and get a fun low-paying job in the meantime (I worked in a bicycle shop) so you don’t feel a bit conflicted about kicking it to the curb when your dream museum job comes knocking.

I’m certainly no expert, but I’d be happy to look at your CV and letter if you would like to send it to the email address below.

Best of luck!

------WILL

Will Roberts

Exhibitions Preparator

Culture & Heritage Museums

(803)329-2121 Ext. 118

www.chmuseums.org

The Culture & Heritage Museums (CHM) is a linked system of cultural facilities that includes Historic Brattonsville, the McCelvey Center, the Museum of York County and the planned Museum of Life and the Environment. The CHM’s mission is to create an enlightened and engaged citizenry by keeping, communicating and connecting our cultural, historical and natural heritage in ways that promote deeper understanding of people and place.