Another thought occurred to me over the weekend. Long, solitary
drives will encourage that.

One solid piece of advice I can offer young museum professionals is
to gain experience and skills working with senior citizens. As the
Baby Boom ages and edges into retirement they will make up more and
more of our visitor populations. This is also the age group from
which museums have traditionally drawn the overwhelming majority of
its volunteers.  And, for some reason I have yet to fathom, many
museums give the job of volunteer management to young, entry level
professionals who are looking to use it as a stepping stone to other
"more serious" jobs. Personally, I think it is a museum
specialization in its own right, and someone who is good at volunteer
management is worth their weight in gold.

If you have any skills or knowledge working with older adults and
retired populations, highlight it on your resume. If you don't and
you are looking to add to your skill set, this would be an excellent
place to start.

I know this works more for educators, programmers, HR people and
others who work with the public or with volunteers, rather than
curators or conservators, but that's what I know. Also, anyone
looking to work for a small museum job would do well to take a course
or read a book on working with the aging populations.

Have fun,

Matt White