Sure, it would be like new assuming there was anything left. A good sandblasting would have the same effect.

Thanks Heidi.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

Our archivist came across a letter written in 1917 to a local collector from an antiques dealer describing how to clean pewter. We amazed and somewhat horrified at what it contained, so I thought I’d excerpt it here for everyone’s enjoyment.

Clean old pewter as follows:
First prepare a solution containing water, 1 gallon, caustic soda, 8 ounces, and common rosin, ½ ounce. Heat the solution to 200 degrees F, and immerse the articles in same from 5 to 10 minutes, then remove and washing in cold water. Second, immerse for a few minutes in a hydrofluoric acid dip composed of 1 part acid to 6 parts of water. Then wash in water. Third, instead of cutting down with Tripoli, scour with a very soft Tampico brush and lime paste to produce a clean surface afterwards, then wash and dry thoroughly, then buff the surface with white lime and kerosene oil. Finally wash in benzene or gasoline and dry out with fine maple sawdust. If you are fond of pewter it will pay you to keep this and any old worn pewter piece can be made like new.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator
Historical Society of Frederick County
24 East Church Street
Frederick, Md. 21701