In a message dated 7/29/2007 6:17:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

=====

Pam,

It's a puzzlement.  It seems to be a draw, and it's a connection to  the
future (after the CCC).  It sounds like it both detracts from the CCC  stuff and
gets in the way.  But...it's draw, and no museum can have too  many of those.

When you display it, you obviously point out that its post-CCC.   Does that
seem to bother anyone or do they take it as a matter of course and  seem to
believe (as I think I would) that it belongs there.

If you decide to get rid of it, I wonder if our own Museum of American
Heritage in Palo Alto, CA, might want it.  See http://www.moah.org/

Instead of having it on the floor, could you possibly stand it on end to  get
it out of the way.  That would also give you the opportunity to tie  it in
its box so you wouldn't have to pick it up.

All in all, it's not all bad, because...dare I say it?...it's a  draw.

-Jim Lyons

Well...I tried a couple of things with visitors over the weekend. When
visitors arrive, I give them an introduction to the museum/site and the CCC in
general. This is 15-20 minutes and can be shorter or longer depending on their
attentiveness. After that, I either offer or simply carry on with a guided
tour. They rarely precede on their own at this time.

During the guided tours, I thought it would be ok for us to pass by the
case...I just ignored it and distracted them from it. This way, if time allows
after I've had the opportunity to cover more important material  1st- is when I
can show them the saw and talk about it.

I also thought I may continue to ignore the saw and just wait and  see if
people ask about it 1st. Was doing fine with one family which included a  5 year
old boy...guided tour and many questions from all. While the rest of his
family went off to look around, I brought the boy over to type his name on  the
Royal, try on a water tank pack, push down the handle on the dynamite  blaster,
etc. We were having much fun and he was very inquisitive, asked many
questions.

Then he started looking over at the saw case. I had a plan to distract him
and thought for sure with this, I'd be off the hook. I pointed out a poster of
Smokey Bear, told a little story, then was trying to lead him to the
entrance room to give him a bag of Smokey Bear educational materials. He didn't
follow me. He stood right by the case and didn't budge. When I walked far enough
away - he asked about it. Nope, I wasn't going to get away with this with my
new  buddy.

The rest of the family came over to see the saw and listen to  what I had to
say. But this was just a bit much for the little guy - he gave me  a puzzled
look that begged for me to explain this so that he'd understand. His  mom
intervened and we were starting to walk to the entry room.

This did not deter him. He stood his ground until he then made a  connection
to the chainsaw. This surprised all of us - what a kid! He's not even  in 1st
grade yet...he told us that he's seen a chainsaw like this before! So now  all
of us adults have a puzzled looked on our faces. He said he saw one on
TV...on PBS, and told us that the people were using it to cut wood (and he  was
making motions while telling us).

So what happened here, if not for the saw -is that the rest of the family
would have continued looking around for awhile longer. I could have given the
young boy the Smokey bag -after which I was going to have him try out the  new
"CCC What You Can Find" scavenger hunt I just made up. He was the first  young
visitor I could have tried it out with!

However, seeing a kid so young trying to figure out the saw and make a
connection to it...was priceless!
Right you are Jim!

It will be awhile before we can move it so I'll have to deal (like I have
been) with it being where it is for now. I really want to get something
underneath it, because it's laying on the damp cement floor. I think that having  it
propped up on one end may be a good idea once we relocate it.

Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Seasonal State Parks Interpretive  Guide
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit State  Forest Headquarters
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut  06076
Telephone: (860) 684-3430