We treat those with disabilities strictly the same as anyone else who visits the museum–therefore everyone is charged the rate that would normally be applied.

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steph Gaub
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 12:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Admission for Persons with Disabilities

We have had people who are deaf and/or blind ask if we give free admission due to their disability. I've had it explained to me that they are unable to see/hear the exhibits so they shouldn't have to pay. However, I see it as those who are deaf are still able to read the labels, and those who are blind normally have a companion to read the labels and explain the exhibit if no audio guide is available.  Is it typical for other museums to waive admission costs to the disabled?  How have you handled this situation in your own organization?

Stephanie Gaub

Collections Manager

Orange County Regional History Center, Downtown Orlando

Tel 407.836.8587 Fax 407.836.8550

Explore. Connect. Imagine. Reflect.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: