I can't speak to how this is done in all museums, but this is a sticky wicket and could cause a form of discrimination.

  First, just because one has a disability does not mean they cannot work and do not have the income to afford the museum's fees.  Some cannot, but many others (like me) are still able to work and garner an income stream.  So why should they not pay for the experience because they obviously hope to gain something from being there.  You may choose to waive the fee for an assistant used as an accommodation for the disability (an aide paid to tend to the physical needs of the person with a disability), but again, that's a choice. (I would vote yes for that, unless the aide is just a spouse trying to get something for free.)

  Secondly, be careful not to fall into the disability politics.  Which disability are you going to accommodate?  Blind and deaf, or someone with mobility issues?  What about a person with psychatric impairments? Be wary of the visible disabilities as opposed to the invisible ones. How will you know if someone is disabled?  Just by looking at them?  Careful, it gets complicated.  Know that the disability movement, itself, often acts like crabs in a bucket, some saying only my disability and not yours.  If you discriminate, you could have problems.

  Next, recognize that you have a rapidly aging Boomer population with all manner of disabilities that come with age.  Know that, if you open up the window of reduced/no charge admission for PWD (Persons With Disabilities), the volume of people you're going to open this up to is going to grow over time.  You may already have a senior discount, and this is going to winnow your income stream.

  The law requires, in most instances (there are exceptions in this case having to do with building age and remodeling), that you make your institutions ACCESSIBLE.  It does not mean that Accessible translates to FREE or CHEAP, though it could be argued that, if you cannot afford admission, it wouldn't be accessible.  About 10 years ago, in compliance with the ADA, the Hollywood Bowl scattered its seating for PWD, but then charged them a regular fee based on where they were sitting.  Suffice it to say there were howls at first, but people continued to attend and paid the new fees.  They selected their seating based on affordability (they were getting seating for something like $6 per person in an area where seats would go for $100 or more).

  Know that, if you discriminate and say that someone who is disabled should be entitled to a reduced admission fee because of their disability, you somewhat discriminate against those who are not disabled.  What about the person on welfare?  (S)he may not be able to afford the admission price either.

  I got back a week ago from a Florida vacation.  We spent 4 days in the Keys (to die for, and wholeheartedly recommended).  Due to problems with having to stand after the Daytona Race (the race was wonderful, but their people-moving capabilities post race were poor), I was on the cane the whole time at the Keys.  I went to Hemingway Museum, rode the Conch train, went to the Pirate Soul Museum, and VERY SLOWLY climbed the steps up and down the Lighthouse.  In not one case, did anyone factor my (visible) disability into the admission price.  I had to choose what parts of the activities in which I could participate (I went upstairs at the Hemingway House, but opted to rely on pictures of his writing quarters).  I would not have expected them to do so.

  With that said, it bears noting that I DO have a disability card for the California State Parks that allows for a reduced admission to all but San Simeon and except where admission would be $2 or less.  I have yet to use it.  Additionally, 4 months from today, I turn 55 and am looking forward to getting the Senior Citizen discount at Dennys (my daughter promises to take me there for the momentous day).

  Hope this helps.

Steph Gaub <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    We have had people who are deaf and/or blind ask if we give free admission due to their disability. I've had it explained to me that they are unable to see/hear the exhibits so they shouldn't have to pay. However, I see it as those who are deaf are still able to read the labels, and those who are blind normally have a companion to read the labels and explain the exhibit if no audio guide is available.  Is it typical for other museums to waive admission costs to the disabled?  How have you handled this situation in your own organization?

  Stephanie Gaub
  Collections Manager
  Orange County Regional History Center, Downtown Orlando
  Tel 407.836.8587 Fax 407.836.8550
  www.thehistorycenter.org
  Explore. Connect. Imagine. Reflect.

  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information:   The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).   If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).