Some random thoughts --

I've used a Segway (twice -- for about 20 mins each).

They weight about 100lbs -- about as much as some larger electric wheelchairs, but not as much as others.

One of the ones I "test-drove" was owned by a friend who had severe cardiopulmonary issues and he DID use it as a mobility device.  He liked it because it was way-cooler than an electric wheelchair (he's a teen), and also because you're "standing up" you're better able to see, navigate, communicate, etc, than in a traditional electric wheel chair.

I asked about the "legality/accessibility" issue with a Segway dealer, and *supposibly* they are classified/protected in the same way as an electric wheelchair.... I'd previously heard otherwise -- so I'd double check that little fact...  He (the dealer) is disabled and even rides it to/from and in/around grocery stores, department stores, etc...   He said the manager/staff are often a little concerned (worried he might knock a display of canned goods or something), but then he slapped a pair of "handicapped" stickers on the fenders and says nobody's bothered him?

Although its hard to believe without seeing/trying one -- I NEVER felt unsteady at any time on a Segway.  I'd be much more worried about people tripping over their own feet that I would be about a Segway accidentally tipping over.  With this said -- I might worry a little about "new drivers" driving into/bumping things.  There is a little (couple hour) learning curve to figure out how to drive/steer/turn these things, but once that is mastered they'd be fine.

Although Segway's are extremely maneuverable -- (they can spin around in their own footprint -- about 2.5 or 3 ft) -- they don't stand still very well.  Standing requires a delicate-ever-changing-balancing act tipping slightly forward -- slightly back -- slightlyforward/back -- much like you'd balance on a unicycle.   *smile*  Again, I was a newbie and did it (stood in one place) but it wasn't graceful...   More experienced users (the dealer and or my friend) did better at it, but still I'd envision a bit of a struggle if you'd need to stand still during a tour.

Segways have no "kick-stand" so if you're off of one (and it's turned off) it needs to LEAN somewhere, (a wall, a post, a fence, etc).  Most traditional bike racks can be used, but they're not really designed for Segways.

Segways put the rider up higher (by 8/10 inches or so) so they provide great visibility, but then again this might be a liability in some "low ceiling" places.

There are two different tires/suspensions -- one smooth for everyday use, and one "beefier" tire with a tread for "off-road" use.  Don't think either would ever mar any kid of floor.

Bottom line -- I'd allow a Segway inside my museum, but I wouldn't advertise the fact.  I think they'd be ideal in outdoor venues -- during historic walking tours, trail hikes, and such.

- David -
David Lewis, curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org