This is a total aside.

I have seen the inventor Dean Kamen interviewed in a number of venues about the segway, including live at my current site. He has been asked publicly about the use of the Segway as a device to assist the disabled both permanent and temporary. He is quite intentionally cagey on the topic and very much the show man. He knows, and states openly, that were he to make such a claim or agree with anyone else who makes the claim, he would immediately be under the regulation of the proper FDA branch that approves these devices. He hints, he nods, he winks, but never makes the claim, nor does his company. Another poster noted the company explicitly disavows the claim.

This would tell me that the Segway has no such approval as an assistive device and the makers have no intention of submitting themselves to the rigor and delay of seeking such approval.

I am absolutely no expert on this type of law, and I would absolutely insist that you consult someone who is, but it seems to me to be illogical to claim that we are under any requirement to allow someone to use a Segway in a manner we deem unsafe for the purposes of assisting a disabled person when the Segway is not legally recognized as such a device.

What would you do if someone on a Segway hurt another visitor? Who would be liable?

I also do not think that we are obligated to make our sites accessible to anyone completely and solely on their terms whether disabled or not. Having a safe and approved wheelchair available for them to change to would be the same as airlines making wheelchair users check their chairs or scooters  and use the ones designed for airplane aisles.

Like I said I am no expert. I would be happy to send this to our accessibility officer for her thoughts.

Matthew White

Director, Hands On Science Center

Smithsonian Institution

National Museum of American History