The Oasis frost free model dehumidifier is relatively quiet, even on the
highest setting. However, the dehumidifier I have at home is more powerful, so I
exchanged it with the one in the museum. It works much better...the basin
holds more water, but unfortunately it is LOUD. I can turn it down to a lower
setting (or off) when there are visitors.

The dehumidifier wasn't enough, better air circulation was needed. I have 2
floor fans that I run on high when the museum is closed. I rarely run them on
high when the museum is open (even when there are no visitors)because they
are  also loud (and can be heard over the phone) and generally, a medium or low
setting works just fine.

It took me awhile to properly locate the fans and dehumidifier in  order to
create a more stable temp/RH and have good air exchange. This  assures that the
dehumidifier isn't pulling moisture from 'outside' (see  below, NO
insulation).

 I also have a clear path to the door to empty the basin and take  great care
to avoid spillage of course. Since I work 4 days on, 3 off...I rely  on other
staff to empty the dehumidifier when I'm not there. On dry days, it's  not a
major issue if the basin doesn't get emptied. The water is contained  and so
little condensation will occur. Still, the unit is 'on' and I prefer if  the
basin in emptied and the unit is shutdown (if we have low outdoor  humidity).

We do take great care in monitoring outdoor conditions and change, and the
staff is on notice to check the dehumidifier on the more humid days when
often, it has to be emptied twice.

I had noticed that one of the fans, which I have placed right in the middle
of a doorway, was always moved away from the doorway when I returned back to
work. The staff moves it to get into the room to empty the dehumidifier and
it's  not placed back where it was when they leave. This was my fault -for not
communicating the importance of the placement and operation of the fans, as I
did with the dehumidifier. And I did note the difference (because we have a
cement floor, I can see where condensation is collecting.

Ah - I just finished reading Dave's post, and I was just going to get into
the importance of recording the fluctuations. So no need to repeat that here.
And this is how I verified the fluctuations I suspected were occurring, and
that  they did so between the hours of 12:30-5pm...when the sun (if these were
sunny  days) hits this side of the [unshaded] building. And the outdoor
humidity  correlated with the humid conditions that were recorded indoors (and
exceeded  that of the outside).

And we did suspect that there was poor (or no) insulation in this part of
the building. This was verified during renovations last week. I may or may not
have to relocate the dehumidifier and fans.

One small storage room -I could detect some fluctuations in temp/RH, but
wasn't sure if it was an issue...only way to know for certain is to place a
hygrothermograph in there. Over a months worth of records did indeed indicate
fluctuations, but these were within a good range and not so great to be cause
for immediate concern. However, the side of the building that is now insulated
may change that one way or another.

Lastly, I do want to stress the importance of recording the temp/RH for
another reason...supportive documentation. Most times this is essential when
seeking funding, work orders, etc. This may also assist you in what's going on  in
the rest of the building, in regards to the use of air conditioner units. The
 facilities manager for your building will then be able to try to control the
 situation.

This is quite common in shared building space and areas where staff persons
control these units based on their own comfort level. In some cases, they may
not be using the air conditions properly. And this happened in another
facility  where I worked - and similar perhaps to yours....

The building didn't have central air, but each office had an air
conditioner. Some offices had their doors open, others closed. The  hallway...well with
busy traffic, the outside door being opened and closed  constantly, the hallway
would be warm and humid when the office doors were  closed.

I accompanied the facilities manager to the office on the other side of our
space. It was a large office that had two adjoining spaces, each with an air
conditioner. One door to the hallway was open, the other closed. The air
conditioner in the side closet to our wall, was running, but not blowing cold
because ice had formed inside. The staff person had the office door open...and
the humidity from the hallway caused this to happen.

This can be an issue with central air as well. And I was surprised to see
this while visiting a museum a few years back -C/A was running and the front
door was wide open.

Pam

In a message dated 7/17/2007 8:20:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,