We are being offered a local history photograph collection.  We told the prospective donor that he would have to have an appraisal done if he wanted to deduct the value of the collection on his taxes.  We got 3 appraisers through research of the Society of Appraisers website.  One the appraisers told our prospective donor that the museum could value the collection up to $5000 without the need for getting a professional appraisal.  Neither my curator or myself had ever heard this.  We are very leery of valuing a person’s donation for tax purposes.

Has anybody else had experience with this?

Susan English

Executive Director

Joliet Area Historical Museum

204 N. Ottawa St.