We have started making our own documentaries for the Museum of Mississippi History since our building was closed due to Katrina.  We have made3 films and they run on MPB and local school channels at various times.  We have written the scripts, gathered images and footage from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History among other sources across the country.  I edit the productions and they have bought film Avid editing equipment for the use.  Most of our films are still images and a narration.
Mississippi Public Broadcasting helps us with our sound and any film recording that we need.  We contract the work to them.  If we get the films done in time they get them on their schedule for prime-time.  We own the rights to the film, and as for getting images, it works a lot better if you are not going to go outside of educational uses.
Good Luck!

Stacey Gibson
Museum of Mississippi History

Candace Perry wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
What I have:  a vision, a subject, ideas for funding and tentatively, a
production company
What I need: the $$$ (of course), more hours in a day and an audience

I'm looking for your experiences with documentary production.  Horror
stories welcome.  I am truly, truly novice at all of this...so any
information you can provide is wonderful.  For example, how does one get
his/her films on the local PBS affiliates?  Is this something that you need
to have PBS buy (whether this be literally or figuratively) into from the
outset -- for example, do you need to submit your project to them for
consideration-- or do they look at the finished product and say yea or nay?
The subject matter, in my lofty opinion, is terribly important, and I also
think have some wide appeal, at least on a regional level in PA.  I would
hate to see it languish on shelves in gift shops or archives when there is
an important story to tell and preserve.
Your opinions (other than telling me I'm crazy) are welcome -- particularly
for help for the chronically disorganized who thinks she wants to put
together this sort of project.  I know, let's put on a show!
Thanks!
Candace Perry

--
Stacey Gibson, Historian