In a message dated 7/7/2007 2:05:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
It's important to consider that an Archaeology textbook is necessarily dealing with archaeological objects, and so the focus will be on determining what is modified by humans and what isn't (it all came out of the ground).  Archaeologists also need to distinguish between things that can be moved and features (building foundations, etc.). In the archy collection, we use the term artifact differently than in ethnology.  Going along with Matthew's comments regarding using the right terms for the situation, I wanted to point this out.
Shana

Also to add to Shana's comments here, these objects that aren't modified by humans, may be that which may have been used by humans...such as rocks (ecofacts), there could be a cultural association...so the context in which they were found in association with other cultural material may determine whether they can be also considered as an artifact. Evidence is needed to support their use in a cultural context.

Not all artifacts come out of the ground! It's important to clarify that below-ground remains are thus due to the law of superposition. The deposition of artifacts needs to be determined. Many artifacts, particularly in the desert regions in the Southwest, are surface finds.

I have a couple of water-worn rocks in the museum that were, "used to make stone wall, 1939, Palisade, Colo." They have a cultural affiliation. I could refer to these as ecofacts, artifacts, objects...I can use these term interchangebly. At this moment, these rocks are doubling as paperweights (objects)...holding open pages of a book about the CCC Camp in Palisade, Colo!

Pam

See what's free at AOL.com.