  From: Rebecca Fitzgerald
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 10:54 AM
  Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Membership organization

  Someone is bound to suggest a "lifetime membership." Run away, run away! J Years ago, our small museum did a big lifetime membership blitz and we now have hundreds of life members - who donated between $100 and $200. The sad thing is that these life members call or write snotty messages if they receive a giving solicitation or a plea for volunteers. They feel that they're life members - what more could we want? J Unless you price your life membership so high that it would be more than equivalent to 40-50 years of membership fees, etc. you're shooting yourself in the foot.

  Members only lectures work well in our area. They're cheap (or free) to set up, and require minimal work on your part. Get local historians, archaeologists, etc. to speak on topics of popular local history. If you want to do it up right, brew a pot of coffee and hot water for tea and throw a box of premium cookies on a tray with a paper doily. Everyone will be thrilled.

  The occasional members only nights at the museum with some wine and cheese are also easy events. If you have changing exhibits, have a wine/cheese event the night before you open a new exhibit. Your members will feel very special.

  Good luck,

  Becky Fitzgerald

  Susquehanna Museum