Wow, I don't know where to begin! Public programs/events are great! And  burn
out happens...and since you've mentioned that, please don't disregard this
possibility because there's much that can be done about it.

With that said, even if some degree of burn out is a factor here, doing
fewer programs may not resolve anything. It's important to address the  underlying
issue...of course, that is what you are trying to do by posting this
information and request for data.

Now don't shoot me for saying this, but adding more programs and  different
ones, may be of some help. Your existing programs sound of  the sort that are
popular and are expected every year...so even if it means you  drop one or
more, you'll get some (or a bunch!) backlash, but that's not the end  of the world
either. Perhaps there are one or more of these existing programs  -could be
offered every other year, rather than every year. Also, you could mix  things
up a bit and try some of the existing events at other times during the  year,
and/or scale them back somewhat.

I've volunteered for a local historical society museum (all-volunteer  staff)
for 11 years, and have worked on the same 2 annual fundraising  events every
year. For one of the fundraiser's, every year for the past 4-5  years...I've
told myself that, "this is my last year". And I'm not the only one!  I've
become somewhat desensitized and I'm keeping this in check so far. And how  I've
done that is to find things to get excited about, retain a positive  attitude,
'lighten' things up and share this with other's who having been  similarly
burned out. This year was tough and we all really pulled together to  motivate one
another!

There are numerous things that can be done to ease the burden for your
staff. First and foremost is to work on tasks as far in advance as  possible. Also,
that the staff pull together as a team so that the burden of  these programs
do not fall on just 1 or 2 individuals.

Especially with doing these same programs time and time again...can sure
take some of the fun out of it. The same old, same old programs need to be
reinvigorated. Adding something new to an existing event (even if it means
dropping something that's become a custom) is a good way to reinvigorate a
program/event.

I don't see how you can get around having these events  not impact the staff,
but there's much that can be done to assure  that the impact is positive,
rather than a negative thing.

I can't imagine having a degree of responsibility for a program and not
overdoing it in the process and feeling some (or alot) of stress. Comes  with the
territory I suppose. And even then, it just might not be enough. That's  when
I tell myself that I've done all I can and it just has to be good enough.
There was so much more that I could have done for our recent open house and I
was thinking about some of these things during the event.

But then, I looked around and I saw people were having a great time! Then  it
no longer felt like work, that I was overwhelmed or anything of the
sort...it wasn't about me. But I do take pride in facilitating this gathering.  And
people were oblivious to or otherwise coped just fine with what was offered  and
what wasn't.

Well, I did advertise and emphasize that people should bring a lunch  and
enjoy our picnic area. But then,  I decided a couple days before, that  I should
buy beverages. And the night before....I just had this 'feeling'. So I  headed
to the grocery store! Was up at 7am and made a variety of about 35
sandwiches, made a macaroni salad, prepared some fruit (grapes and I don't  recall what
else) and had bought a couple varieties of store-baked  cookies.

Good thing because not one person had brought a lunch! All the sandwiches
and most of the other stuff went fast! And we still had people coming to the
museum, and quite a few had left before we went outside for lunch. But I was
ready to make a run down the street to Subway if I had to!

But figures! I had decided to not have coffee...and earlier in the day,
everybody wanted coffee! No problem! Someone offered to buy a box of Joe and
another offered to make the run! I didn't have to do anything.

Cost to run this program (excluding staff salaries), $67 for food and $22
for postage. 100+ people having a good time...priceless!!!

Good luck with everything Stacey!

Pam

In a message dated 7/6/2007 6:20:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,