The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler

This five-year project explores the creative processes of the American-born artist, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903), as an etcher and printer. A major figure in 19th century printmaking, he created over 460 etchings. The evolution of each etching from the copperplate through different states to the final print will be investigated, and fully illustrated.

The project is based on three major collections: the artist's estate in the University of Glasgow, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. It will extend to cover prints and the print market, and etchings in public and important private collections.

We are currently seeking participation from institutions and collectors to submit their collection information for addition to our database of 8000+ etchings.  The project is still in research stage, however we expect the online catalogue to go live within two years.  If your collection contains any etchings by Whistler and you have not yet been in contact with us, please take a moment to let us know, and we will email you a more detailed response of how to be part of this project.

Contact the Etchings Project

Please email [log in to unmask]

Project Director: Professor Margaret F. MacDonald, D.Litt.

Whistler Etchings Project
Department of History of Art
University Gardens
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QH
UK

Telephone: +44 (0) 141 330 6136
Fax: +44 (0)141 330 3513

The Whistler Etchings Project is funded by the University of Glasgow, a major Research Grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, and grants from private foundations.