Based upon a discussion initiated on Museum-L, I have decided to re-offer a workshop on grant writing for the three most popular collections care grant programs.  These are the IMLS Conservation Project Support (IMLS-CP), Heritage Preservation's Conservation Assessment Program (CAP), and NEH Preservation Assistance Grants for Smaller Institutions (PAG).  I have served as both a field reviewer and panelist for IMLS-CP, have performed over 60 CAP assessments, and have assisted with a number of PAG projects.  I have guided the writing of successful grants for all three programs, and the funding success rate is in excess of 75%.

The workshop will run from 10 AM to about 4 PM.  Each of the grant programs will be covered, with emphasis on "insider" tips for meeting the program requirements, and preparing a successful grant narrative.  The goal will be for each participant to be ready to submit a grant by the next upcoming program deadline.  If necessary, I am willing to stay for an hour or two past 4 PM, so that each participant will receive customized suggestions.

I will provide the workshop pro-bono, if your facilities are within a 4 hour or so drive of Hartford, CT.  If I can bundle workshops together in proximate geographical regions, I can venture further afield.  I ask that your institution provide a suitable workshop space, locate 10 (minimum) -15 participant institutions, handle the logistics (you may charge participants if you wish), and cover my travel costs (lunch, gas only, at 15 cents per mile, lodging if needed, and breakfast and dinner if needed).  For longer distances, other expenses may apply.  I would like to partner with approximately two institutions per state, located in different parts of each state, for New England and the Middle Atlantic.  Again, I can consider other states if either an adequate number of programs can be bundled, or you are willing to compensate me for my additional time needed for travel.

As the application deadline for the most lucrative program (IMLS-CP at $150,000 potential grant amount) is October 1, the workshop should be scheduled in the second half of July or in August.  Very early September can be considered at the latest, as the goal of the workshop is to have participants actually submit a grant by the deadline.  I would prefer Monday through Friday for workshop scheduling, but Saturdays can be considered if a compelling reason exists.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you would like to partner in this educational opportunity.  Thanks!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)