  From: Sarah Smith
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 11:07 AM
  Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Audit versus Review

  Dear List:

  Our museum has had an independent CPA firm perform an annual audit for the past fifteen years. The cost for this audit has increased to an uncomfortable level. The board is considering having a CPA firm perform an annual review instead and schedule an audit for every five years.  Our museum has an operating budget of 270,000.  Our bookkeeping is done by a separate CPA firm. Have any like sized organizations made the move to a review? If so how has it impacted giving from Foundations and individuals? I am concerned that our museum would lose some credibility if we made the switch.

  Sarah Y. Smith

  Executive Director

  Hanover Tavern Foundation

  (804) 537-5050 ext. 22