Shannon,

I personally have two primary groups of images. Small images for the database, and larger, high-resolution images for other uses.

The folder of small images is organized by accession number, with each image bearing only the object accession number(ie 1972_23_1). The other folder(s) bearing the bigger images is(are) organized by artist name and/or subject. Object images are named "artist last name_accession number". Other documentary images are named with descriptive phrases and placed in folders organized by type, such as shots of the grounds, tour groups, conservation projects, etc. Above all, never leave a disk full of images named DSN#### or whatever.

It is a very good idea to get your plan together up front and to maintain consistency throughout. Make sure you document your system, and keep good records of what images you put on what disks to avoid too much duplication.

Since CDs and DVDs should never be considered permanet storage media for data you want to keep long-term, you will want to add migration and periodic data checking/recopying into your CMP.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

I am looking for suggestions and examples of how to organize digital images.
Our institution over the past few years has accumulated, in no systemactic
order, a large number of digital images of objects, photographs, and archival
materials.  The files are currently housed on the server, in an assortment of
folders.  I would like to remove these images from the server and burn them on
to CD's/DVD's with a system set in place to to be able search and determine if
a digital image has been made and retrieve it rather easily. I want this system
to also help organize future digital images which are created.

In addition to setting up a system, are digital images saved as Tiff, jpeg, or
another file type?  What DPI?  Are several sizes of the image saved or just
one?

We currently PastPerfect 4 and can attach images, and maybe that is the
easiest method.  But, I know we are not the only institution who has
accumulated digital images, and I'm interested to hear how other institutions
have delt with this.

Thank-you,

Shannon Lindridge, Collections Manager
Tha History Center in Tompkins County