Hi Shannon,

We sort of have the same problem.  We also use Past Perfect but not the virtual exhibit area of the program.

I created a very easy form, and have scanned images in jpg format 300 dpi since that is most of what my requests are for.  I also have a 72 dpi format of the same images so we can either send thumbnails or use in Power point.  Just this past year we placed about 200 images on our website as a test to see if people would use it when asking for images.
http://www.atsu.edu/museum/image_collection/index.htm

We had been saving our images to CDs also but it started to become a problem as the collection grew.  I now have an external hard drive I used just for images along with the cd's

Deb

Debra Loguda-Summers, Curator
Still National Osteopathic Museum and National Center for Osteopathic History
800 West Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660 626 2359
Fax: 660 626 2984
Toll Free: 1 866 626 ATSU Ext. 2359
www.atsu.edu/museum

The Mission of the Still National Osteopathic Museum is to collect, preserve, and make available artifacts and related materials to communicate the history and philosophy about the osteopathic principles of mind, body and spirit to a global audience.

>>> Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]> 6/18/2007 1:22 PM >>>
I am looking for suggestions and examples of how to organize digital images.
Our institution over the past few years has accumulated, in no systemactic
order, a large number of digital images of objects, photographs, and archival
materials.  The files are currently housed on the server, in an assortment of
folders.  I would like to remove these images from the server and burn them on
to CD's/DVD's with a system set in place to to be able search and determine if
a digital image has been made and retrieve it rather easily. I want this system
to also help organize future digital images which are created.

In addition to setting up a system, are digital images saved as Tiff, jpeg, or
another file type?  What DPI?  Are several sizes of the image saved or just
one?

We currently PastPerfect 4 and can attach images, and maybe that is the
easiest method.  But, I know we are not the only institution who has
accumulated digital images, and I'm interested to hear how other institutions
have delt with this.

Thank-you,

Shannon Lindridge, Collections Manager
Tha History Center in Tompkins County
Ithaca, NY 14850

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---